Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Slow cooked spicy goat curry

We love buying direct from growers and producers (food tastes better when I know there's no middle-man fingerprints on it), and it's even better when it's local.  We recently discovered there's a purveyor of fine goat meat at our local farmers market, and bought a frozen shoulder (2.5kg was about $35). After defrosting in the fridge for about 3 days (yes, really, it was a huge piece of meat), I vaguely followed Matt Moran's recipe below, and made a huge curry! http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/matt-morans-spicy-slow-cooked-goat-curry/news-story/f7c0d9e816484f85208cddb25dc9eb61 Last time I made this, I only had half the amount of goat the recipe called for, but kept all other ingredients as per recipe. It was the right amount of sauce, so I decided this time I would triple all ingredients to go with my 2.5kg goat. It was a good choice.  Mr Moran's recipe suggests chopping the goat into small pieces, this wasn't possible with the bony cut I had, I hacked off a couple of large bits, but mostly left it whole. This obviously makes the cooking time longer, adapt to suit the cut of meat you have.  The other major change I made was instead of cooking on stovetop as per step 6, I transferred to a slow oven (150degcelcius) and left it there for about 5-6 hours. Check, turn, stir regularly. It's ready when it's falling off the bones.  I cooked mine in a cast iron pot like this http://www.everten.com.au/chasseur-riviera-blue-round-french-oven-24cm-3-8l.html - great for stove to oven dishes.  Hubby had his with rice, I ate mine with steamed greens. Choose your own adventure! 

No comments:

Post a Comment