Wednesday, May 22, 2013

"Run" (a blog post drafted 7th July 2012 - dug out of the archive and posted 22 May 2013, because it is timely!)

Today I am writing a blog update about an amazing experience I had on 19th May 2013, and I found the following post sitting in my drafts. Thought I would share.

Written 7th July 2012. Posted 22nd May 2013.

Deviating from the core of homeharvestcooking activities, but thought I'd share another hobby of mine. Running {usually very slowly}.

On 15th July I'm planning to run my third half marathon (21.1km) as part of the Run Melbourne carnival . I'm really happy to be sharing the experience with friends and family members. We have been raising funds for Alzheimer's Australia as part of 'Team Turtle'. Preparation hasn't exactly gone to plan. The first few months of training went really well, generally with a couple of shorter runs during the week then a longer one on the weekend. I reached my longest planned training distance of 18km with some good hills 2 weeks ago (3 weeks out from event) and was feeling great, then experienced a plethora of issues with my sore old running body! Details shmeetails. I've seen my myotherapist and osteopath, who have both helped a lot. After all that planning and training, I feel frustrated and anxious, wondering how things will go this week - questioning whether to have a short, light run to test it out or just rest rest rest. Argh. Frustrated, but resting, and hoping I'll be able to run relatively pain and issue free next Sunday. Fingers crossed!

I think this injury actually came on the same day I started thinking seriously about running a full marathon. Ironic!

I have dreamed of running a full marathon [42.2km] for some time, but not in a serious, planning, committed kind of way. More so - "oh yes, maybe one day, pass me some more wine".

In the winter of 2011 I ran the Great Ocean Road Half Marathon. It went from Kennett River to Apollo Bay, along the Great Ocean Road, one of Victoria's most famous and spectacularly scenic routes. The Great Ocean Road carnival also boasts a full marathon distance, from Lorne to Apollo Bay. This is the one that has captured my attention.

This is my list of reasons why I want to:
Because the route is so bloody beautiful. 
Because it felt amazing to run along that magic stretch of road last year for the half mara. The road normally isn't open to foot traffic. Actually on a normal day, you'd be crazy to run or ride along it, mad hills, hairpins and blind corners.
Because now is a good time.
Because it means a holiday in Apollo Bay and I love it there.
Because I want to see if I can.
Because I want to challenge myself.

And my list of reasons why I'm doubting it:
Hard on my body
Lots of training (so little time)

Pretty sure there are more on the first list.
Food for thought.


I have been thoroughly enjoying running whilst training for the half mara next weekend. These are some of the reasons:

1. Running buddies - I have a solid running buddy who I run with regularly and he is awesome. Harder, better, faster and stronger than me, so it pushes me when I run with him. I have run with a couple of other friends lately too, and have another friend joining me on the bike. All of this great company helps motivate me to pull on the runners and just get on with it.

2. Studying... who knew there was so much to learn about running. Until recently, my strategy (haha) has been 1. put on runners. 2. go. 3. stop. 4. stretch... maybe. I have been lapping up running and training advice online, and in a magazine that I stumbled across a few months ago- Women's Running. Lots of tips about strengthening exercises, nutrition, products, and loads of motivating and interesting articles about real women getting up off their arse and having a crack. And kicking butt!

Lots to learn. Fartleks, track sessions, nutrition, training plans, techniques. The running world is my oyster! If I do make it to the start line of a Marathon, I'll also have a PhD in running! Cannot get enough information. Sponging it up!

3. Having a goal - 21.1km, Team Turtle and $1000
Being able to compare notes with the other Team Turtle girls running/walking next weekend - about training, running shoes, carb loading, injury, motivation and procrastination, has been really helpful. My usual style is to get totally absorbed in the weeks leading up to an event - planning and over thinking everything. Unfortunately at the moment I'm not 100% sure whether I'll make it to the start line with this body and I'm spending a copious amount of energy just agonising over that. On the upside, our team has beaten our fundraising goal of $1000 with donations from our supportive families and friends. I have been very motivated to train because of the benefit our fundraising will have for dementia sufferers and their wonderful carers. I think having an event booked in and paid for is a good way to motivate myself to run - and that is a good thing in itself.  (see 5 below) 

4. Getting fit
The fitter I get, the better I feel and the more exercise I want to do. Definitely more challenging in the winter months, but we've passed the winter solstice now, so no excuses! The days are getting longer again.  Bike riding - road and mountain biking is a good way to get some cardio in, without punishing my legs with too much running. (Someone will probably tell me that riding and running do not compliment each other?) I've lost some kgs since I've been back in my running shoes, and that makes it much easier to run!

5. Balancing the busy life and mind
I find there are not many better ways to blow the cobwebs out after a crazy week at work, to clear the mind and find clarity in the chaos, than to pull on my runners and hit the road. If its a long session, letting my body just get into a rhythm (which can take the first 5km sometimes!) and zoning out... if it's a short and fast one, that feeling of my heart beating hard and the breath not quite enough - call me crazy, but I find it exhilarating!

6. Pilates and yoga

Firstly, yoga. I have been practising for about 2 or so years. My version of practising yoga is attending a small class once a week.  I've tried to do the get-up-at-5am-and-do-Ashtanga... but it just doesn't work for me. At least not this year. Yoga's good for the mind and the body. Lots of yummy twists, bends, stretches etc. They are definitely helpful for an sore old runner's body! Maybe in another life I'll be a more dedicated yogi.

And pilates... in Feb I added pilates to the weekly routine. I do a reformer pilates class at my local Myotherapy clinic. I picked this up after having a fall on Christmas day [flooded house, tiled floor = tears... not pretty], and injured my back and needed to strengthen everything up again.  Trained Myo's take the class, so that is a bonus - they know what they're doing. I have really noticed a difference in my running during this time. Hips don't wobble around anymore - feeling much stronger through the core. Yay.

7. Keeping a record
Time, distance, route.
I've been keeping a very nerdy spreadsheet of all of my exercise related activities since April 2012. I track what activity I did, how long for, what distance, where. It's interesting to see my speed and distance improving over time. Also tracking weight, alcohol and sugar free days, and using it to plan ahead so I can set and meet training goals.


So with all of that on my side... I wonder... can I run a marathon? Watch this space.

1 comment:

  1. Blumie June 5th 2013.
    Awesome Erica! We're clearly birds of a feather at very different stages of our lives. Having a focus and working meticulously toward it, in spite of the setbacks, would not only reduce the incidence of depression and anxiety but also minimise the potential for dementing illnesses. Congratulations on your fund raising efforts.
    I work in the area of mental health and was the dementia support consultant for the NW coast of Tasmania for 10 years. So we clearly share many a similar passion.
    I'm a firm believer in the saying " stasis is the basis of most of our problems". That's a quote from one of my very early charge nurses. Clearly not a problem of yours!

    ReplyDelete