Friday, May 31, 2013

June 2013 - A month of snail mail... and connecting with what's important

My experience this week has caused me to do some reflecting, and think about what is truly important to me; in work and in life.  How often do we do that? Reconnect with what is at our core... What drives me? How do I represent myself to the world? What am I truly committed to? Why do I care so much about something, and not about the next? What is my fear holding me back from? What is possible? What is impossible... and is it, really?

Giving myself permission to examine these things was incredibly powerful for me this week. I encourage you to do the same. 

And if you're really brave... share some of it with your loved ones, friends, colleagues. You might discover a new connection, commonality, shared commitment. Try it on.

As part of my adventures this week, I reflected on the aspects of my life that I value most. For me, the most profound item on that list, is my relationships with my husband, my friends, my family, myself.

I am left asking myself - Am I true to my values in my expression of actions and words? Am I prioritising and governing my energy and resources in a way that nourishes the parts of my life that I care deeply about, and is aligned to what is truly important?

...

Last night, I returned home after 3 nights away for work, and (along with my hubby and puppy), there were two treasures waiting for me - a letter from my beloved Grandma S, and a second letter, from a much loved friend.

Receiving a handwritten letter, in a handwritten envelope is a rare gift these days.

My Grandma read my last correspondence (a postcard from Skenes Creek post marathon), then took the time to respond. To relate. She looked up my address in her book and carefully copied it to the envelope. She selected an appropriate stamp from the packet (the one with the Sumatran orangutan at Perth Zoo), and purposefully affixed it. Later, she remembered to post it, probably going out of her way.  Along with her warmly informative and interesting letter, I received the implied message - She loves me. I can tell, because she took all of that action to follow through on her commitment to our relationship. She showed me I am special to her. Just like she is to me.

The second letter, from my friend Jacqui was a response to a letter I wrote the day we returned home from Skenes Ck. My letter was full of self-indulgent crowing about my achievements. Jacqui's response was much more modest, full of all the things that are important in her life at this time.  Reading her news, rather than hearing it, enabled me to be a more attentive listener - just absorbing all that she wanted to tell me, she wasn't rushed, I wasn't finishing her sentences, or applying my own interpretations and filters to what she was saying. And I get to read it again whenever I want.

I feel that the simple, intentional and mindful act of writing a letter is seriously underrated. It sends a message of care and consideration. It says, I want to share my thoughts, experiences and feelings with you... but I don't want to interrupt you. I want you to hear these things in your time. And respond in your time.

We are staying connected. These letters are adding interest to my days and value to our relationships.  I'm responsible for keeping the conversation going with Grandma and with Jacqui. I can see they are committed to the same.

So... for every day for the month of June, I commit to writing at least one letter to someone that is important to me - the kind that requires a stamp, or at least an envelope. And I started a day early, with three cards sent this morning. Go team!

No comments:

Post a Comment