Saturday, May 12, 2012

Ruthie's Thyme & Bacon Chook

I managed to extract this secret recipe from my friend Ruth, and what better way to keep a secret than stick it on my blog!

Its is with adoration and thanks that I post this recipe, in honour of this wonderful person who is moving to another city for exciting adventures with her family.  Thanks for the memories :) Skype ya later.

No idea what the official measurements are, but this is what worked for me:

What you need:
- A whole chicken, broken down into parts - I got the butcher to do mine. I think I'd use just chicken thighs or drummies next time for something different.
- 300g bacon - cut into small pieces
- 12 shallots, peeled and halved
- olive oil
- white wine
- fresh sprigs of thyme
- fresh rosemary
- pepper
What to do:
- heat oven to 220 degrees celcius
- place shallots in base of heavy casserole dish
- sit chicken pieces on top of shallots and scatter bacon over
- pull some of the thyme leaves off and scatter, and throw in some sprigs whole, same with rosemary
- add pepper to taste

- pour olive oil over the top of the chicken and bacon (about 2-3 tablespoons)
- put in oven for 20 minutes, covered
- after 20 minutes pour a glass of white wine over and give the pan a shake
- return it to the oven without lid for another 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked and tender.

We served this with potato/sweet potato combo mash, just cooked buttery brussel sprouts and garlic mushrooms. Was a treat the following day for lunch with a basic salad too.

Thanks Ruth for sharing your recipe :) - you'll probably tell me that my interpretation of your recipe totally sucks, will have to come and try the real thing in ADL!




No comments:

Post a Comment