Saturday, June 24, 2017

Thai Pumpkin and Coco Soup, with coriander pesto

Yum yum
I'm so excited about this one, I'm posting here immediately!!

We are continuing the quest to use all of our pumpkins before they spoil, (also giving away to visitors, so please visit us!)

After eating pumpkin for dinner for the last week, I vowed to have a break. Well 24 hours off and I'm back into it! Yeah #teampumpkin

This soup is disgustingly easy to make.

Ingreds:

Soup:
I used an entire medium pumpkin (a Kent or something like that), which when seeded and peeled weighed in around 1650g.
1 brown onion
500ml coconut cream
Olive oil
500ml vegetable stock
200ml boiling water
About 3 thumb sized pieces of fresh ginger, chopped finely
2 generous tablespoons Thai Red Curry Paste (I used this one http://www.peterwatson.com.au/store/se-asian-indian-and-world-curry-pastes-and-mixes/thai-red-curry-paste.html?vmcchk=1)

Coriander pesto:
1 bunch of coriander
1 lemon - you need the zest and the juice
3 cloves garlic
Olive oil
OPTIONAL: you could add nuts to this, but it might make the soup a little gritty. Something to experiment with at another time.

Just a quick note first, in relation to measurements/quantities... go by feel, and use what you have. If you have a 400ml can of cocomilk, use that instead. I used 500ml coconut cream because I already had a carton open. If you have a different kind of pumpkin, don't stress, use it - and let us know how it went! Don't waste food by only using part of what you have to meet my quantities. Cook it, taste it, and adjust it to suit your preferences and available ingredients.

Okay...

Heat a good glug of olive oil (3 tablespoons or thereabouts) in a large, heavy bottomed pot
Add chopped onion and cook while stirring for a couple of minutes
Add chopped fresh ginger and curry paste, stir then add stock, water and pumpkin
Cover with a lid, and cook until pumpkin is soft (took about 15-20 mins here, but if you cut the pumpkin into finer pieces it will be faster).
Remove from heat and blitz (I used a stick blender)
Add coconut milk to the blended pumpkin, and stir (or do what I did, and continue blitzing with stick blender)
That's the soup!

For the coriander pesto, place all ingredients except oil in food processor. Once it's finely chopped, add a little olive oil at a time and mix again in food processor, until you have a paste. Mine didn't get super smooth, but it's really good like that.

Stir a little pesto through the soup when serving. It's pretty strong and does change the flavour (hubby prefers without the pesto), so I suggest adding a small amount at a time

I have stored my coriander pesto in a glass jar with lid, I smoothed the top of the pesto and covered with a thin layer of olive oil, hoping that will prevent it going brown :). I'm going to try freezing some in an ice cube tray too, to enjoy with the soup that gets frozen.


No comments:

Post a Comment