Friday, January 31, 2014

Salted caramel icecream - oh yeah!

I'm excited. I remembered that I own an icecream machine!

Next stop: Salted caramel icecream... It might be true love.

Recipe courtesy of the Kitchen Paper http://www.thekitchenpaper.com/salted-caramel-ice-cream/ for those playing at home. 

I used raw sugar, Maldon salt, thickened cream, vanilla extract.

Caramel
(sugar + heat + cream)

Eggs x 3

Cream, whole fat milk, sugar - heat

Strain milk into caramel 

Mix it, baby!

Chill the custard for a few hours, stirring regularly 

Then bung it in the icecream machine (don't buy one, borrow mine)


And now we churn!

The finished product- delicious
Lesson learnt: I over cooked the sugar at the start so ended up with a slightly burnt sugar flavour. Not terrible (I kind of liked the bitterness against the creamy sweetness). Next time I'll use white sugar so I can see more easily when it is starting to brown. 

 


You're welcome. 

X

No comments:

Post a Comment